- Receive direction and support generally* on topics such as ethics, career advancement**, and professionalism;
- Access to valuable networking opportunities with other paralegals and the legal community through your mentor and others at state-wide and district Division events; and
- Opportunities to learn more about the Division and Division activities, as well as opportunities to learn how to become more involved.
- Opportunities to share your guidance and general advice* regarding the paralegal profession, ethics, and substantive legal topics;
- Encourage and promote the Division, and opportunities to participate in the Division; and
- Invite Protégés to attend Division functions, and introduce Protégés to Division leadership, as well as some of the members.
Mentors - Voting, active members in good standing, with at least seven (7) years of experience as a paralegal, are qualified to serve as Mentors. Mentors must complete the requisite application acknowledging Mentor has read and agrees to follow the Mentor Program Guidelines.
Protégés -Protégé applicants must be a current Active, Associate or Student member in good standing with the Paralegal Division with three (3) years or less of experience as a paralegal or in a specific area or law. Protégés must complete the requisite application acknowledging Protégé has read and agrees to follow the Mentor Program Guidelines.
All Directors and Officers of the Division meeting the experience requirement are required to serve as Mentors, as well as encourage and promote the Mentor Program.
*Mentors are not to provide legal advice when discussing substantive legal issues, and will adhere strictly to ethical and confidentiality guidelines in not disclosing any information about pending cases or specific issues of law.
**Protégés should not expect that career counseling includes actual job placement, and are requested to exercise consideration and discretion regarding the use of the Mentor's time.
If you are interested in either obtaining a mentor, or serving as a mentor, please read the Division Mentor Program Guidelines via the site menu > Members-Only > Mentor Program > Guidelines. You may print and complete an application under Members-Only > Mentor Program > Mentor Request Form OR Protege Request Form.