How do I replace my Active Member Certificate?

If you need to replace your Active Member Certificate you can order it via the My Account page.  Member Certificates are processed on a bi-monthly basis, so it might take a few weeks for your new certificate to arrive.

Your membership profile is recorded with the State Bar of Texas and cannot be changed via this website.  If any updates are needed, it’s imperative that you update your profile with the SBOT before ordering a replacement certificate.  Follow the instructions via the menu above: MEMBERSHIP > Name and Address Change to update your member profile.  It can take up to 2 weeks before changes made with the SBOT are reflected on our website.  If you updated your profile with the SBOT, you should to wait to see those updates appear on the member certificate order screen before ordering your replacement certificate.