I am a new member of the Paralegal Division and I cannot log into the Members Only area. Can you tell me why?

The reason you cannot log into the private area of our website at this time is because it takes approximately two weeks from the day your membership is entered into the Membership database to have the file downloaded from the State Bar of Texas website database and uploaded to the Paralegal Division’s website.

The State Bar of Texas Membership Roster is not directly connected to the Division’s website. Each Sunday, the State Bar’s computer program automatically creates a current list of the Division members. Each Monday, the Division is allowed to access the State Bar’s info and download all of the current members in a format to be placed on the Division’s website. Please check back on Tuesday of the following week for access.

How do I replace my Active Member Certificate?

If you need to replace your Active Member Certificate you can order it via the My Account page.  Member Certificates are processed on a bi-monthly basis, so it might take a few weeks for your new certificate to arrive.

Your membership profile is recorded with the State Bar of Texas and cannot be changed via this TXPD.org website.  If any updates are needed, it’s imperative that you update your profile with the SBOT before ordering a replacement certificate.  Follow the instructions via the menu above: MEMBERSHIP > Name and Address Change to update your member profile.  It can take up to 2 weeks before changes made with the SBOT are reflected on our TXPD.org website.  If you updated your profile with the SBOT, you should to wait to see those updates appear on the member certificate order screen before ordering your replacement certificate.

How do I add specialty areas of law to my membership record?

If you are a current member of the Paralegal Division, you may choose to add specialty areas of law to your member record.  Log in via the My Account link and click Edit My Profile.  When your personal record appears, scroll down to the Area of Practice section and click the plus sign to reveal the list of options.  Check all the areas of law that apply, scroll to the bottom and Submit.

How do I change my Emeritus or Student membership to a different membership type?

If you are a current Emeritus or Student member and want to change your membership type, you must complete a new application via the menu above: MEMBERSHIP > Applications.  This can be done anytime during the year.  You cannot use the annual renewal process to change your membership status.  In order to make the correct choice for a new membership category please review the membership types and criteria via the menu above: MEMBERSHIP > Types and Criteria

When filling out the new membership application, it is very important to provide your CURRENT Bar Card number when asked to do so in the application process.  If you do not know your Bar Card number please email the PD Coordinator at pd@txpd.org.

How do I find my membership number?

The membership number is located on the membership card that is mailed to the Paralegal Division members from the Membership Department of the State Bar of Texas.  A membership card is mailed to each new member within two weeks of receipt of dues payment.  If you do not receive a card (within two weeks of receiving the acceptance letter), please contact the Membership Department directly at 1-800-204-2222, ext. 1383.

If your card needs replacing due to loss or damage you can order a replacement via the My Account page.

How do I join the Paralegal Division of the State Bar of Texas?

The Paralegal Division is an integral part of the State Bar of Texas.  The Division sets its own standard for membership in the Paralegal Division.  The Board of Directors sets the policy for membership in the Paralegal Division.  To view the benefits, criteria, and applications for membership in the Paralegal Division, please see the menu above:

Benefits:  MEMBERSHIP > Benefits
Criteria: MEMBERSHIP >Types and Criteria
Membership Applications: MEMBERSHIP > Applications

When a person submits an application for membership, the application is reviewed by the Membership Committee of the Paralegal Division to confirm that the applicant meets the criteria for membership set forth by the Board of Directors of the Paralegal Division.  Upon approval, the applicant is forwarded a letter from the Paralegal Division within 30 days of receipt of application.

To learn more about the Paralegal Division and its policies of the Paralegal Division, please review the Standing Rules and other information that can be found under the menu above: ABOUT.

I have completed a full year working as a paralegal. The one year experience has been split between two employers. What should I list on the Active Membership Application to show the one year of paralegal experience?

As long as you have worked as a paralegal performing at least 80% substantive paralegal duties for total of one year, and have met the other educational and/certification criteria, you may complete the Active membership application.  When completing the form, you should list the information for the attorney for whom the most work was done during the past 6 months.

When do I renew my membership in the Paralegal Division?

The membership renewal process is completely online and begins May 1.  Log onto the My Account page and click Renew Online.

As a current member of the Paralegal Division, if your e-mail and address are accurate, you should receive a reminder post-card and begin receiving eBlasts about the membership renewal process in early May.  Membership renewals open on May 1 and are open through July 31.  A late fee of $25.00 will apply to renewals submitted after July 1.

If you do not receive the post-card or eBlasts regarding renewals, see how to update your contact information under the FAQs regarding Membership.

When will I receive my new Active Member Certificate?

If you are a new Active member you will receive a Membership Certificate within a few weeks after your membership is approved and processed.  Membership Certificates are processed bi-monthly, so be watching for yours to arrive at your preferred mailing address.